Sunday, November 1, 2009

Basking in the glow

So, it's been three days since I found out that the CT scan was "all clear" and my cancer just might be gone forever. Three days of pure bliss. And I'm still basking in the glow ...

Things sure are different now. Before Thursday, whenever I thought about next year, a little voice would whisper, "Will I still be around next year?" Now I'm thinking, "Hell, yeah, next year will be my year!" My year of good health, my year of paying off medical bills, my year of making plans and getting things done.

2010 -- the year of Paula!

Re: my cancer treatment, I've still got a few things to take care of, though. Since my new doctor, Dr. K, had recommended that I get a PET scan in addition to the CT (my oncologist, Dr. W-G, isn't sure why he wants one), I called his office the other day and talked to his assistant about it. She said she would make sure he gets to see the CT and let me know if they still want to schedule a PET scan (which provides a different -- and better -- picture, as I understand it) and they'll let me know.

Also, I'm supposed to decide when I want to get my port removed (a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday of my choosing), so I've got to schedule that. (It's "out-patient" surgery.) I'll probably wait until I hear from Dr. K's office about the PET.

You know, last Thursday, when I found out I was cancer-free, I mentioned to someone at work that I don't think I can ever have a bad day again. Of course, life will present struggles and difficulties, as it always does, but, truly, after hearing that I've beat cancer, I feel like nothing can ever bring me down again. A true "silver lining."

Until next time ...
P

2 comments:

Joan said...

Wow, what a great post. I can hear the joy and peace in your voice. I am so thrilled for you. I can only image the relief you must be feeling. It has been a hell of a year for you and your family but I have to say that I admire the face that you put on. I feel truely blessed to call you friend. Thank you for sharing your experiences with me.

Paula said...

Wow, thanks Joan! The blog has been great therapy ...