Sunday, November 29, 2009

Appointments

Yes, I'm getting an early Christmas gift this year: PORT REMOVAL! It's scheduled for Friday, Dec. 11, at B-J West, and will be oh-so-symbolic, a physical sign that, after some 15 months of testing, chemo and radiation, surgery, more chemo, more testing, this so-called "temporary setback" was just that: temporary. And now I can get on with my life, cancer-free once again. Please, somebody pinch me, 'cause I'm surely hoping I'm not dreaming ...

Just in case you're wondering what a "port" is, it's the little one-inch, triangular, plastic thing the doctors implanted, under the skin, on the right side of my chest way back in August 2008 that allowed them to take blood and give me chemotherapy many, many times without having to repeatedly use (and almost certainly mess up) the veins in my arms.

The port never bothered me, never hurt -- it's just "been there," ready to serve whenever the need arose. I would definitely recommend getting a port, if you ever have to go through chemo. (I love my port!)

I've got another appointment Dec. 30, two actually: with Dr. K and with a new doctor, a physical therapy doctor, Dr. P, who will take a look at my bum left leg and, hopefully, tell me what I can do to make it stronger. It still hurts, usually right after I've been sitting and stand up, but yesterday it felt pretty good so I walked about a mile, maybe a tad more, and I'd really like to continue the walking and work my way up to two or more miles. We'll see.

As for the neuropathy, the fingers are just slightly still numb, the toes more so, but I'm thinking both might be back to normal in a few months. Again, we'll see.

That's about it for now -- thanks for checking on me!

Until next time ...
P

No comments: