Sunday, November 8, 2009

Another scan

Darn! Just when I thought I was out of the woods, I find out I have to have another body scan. Dr. K, my newest doctor (the one who took the place of my primary surgeon), suggested the first time I saw him a month or so ago that he wanted a PET scan, in addition to a CT. So I thought both would be done at the same time. Problem is, nobody ever actually scheduled the PET, so all I got was the CT, which looked fine.

So, after I saw my oncologist, Dr. W-G, and heard that all was well, I asked her if I needed the PET. She didn't think so, but told me to call Dr. K to see if he still wanted it. So I called and talked to his assistant, who said she would "make sure he sees the CT" and let me know.

Well, a few days ago she called back and said that, yeah, he still wants it. Even though the CT looked good, the PET is better for the kind of cancer I had, she told me. The PET (Position Emission Tomography) looks at the body's functional processes, such as tumor metabolic activity -- something no other test does. For the test, I'll be injected with a radioactive sugar, FDG, which is taken up by cells that use sugar, such as cancer cells. So it will actually be a better way to determine if any cancer is still there.

The test is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 17, at Barnes-Jewish West, and should take about two hours.

Please pray that the PET also shows no cancer, and that I am truly "cancer-free."

Until next time ...
P

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Shucks! I thought you were done with all the testing. At least they are getting you in there right away. Looking forward to hearing that the PET scan is clear.

My head is bowed ... saying a prayer.

Hugs,
M

Terri Mork Speirs said...

praying and praying hard

Joan said...

Praying and praying harder, also

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.