Thursday, November 5, 2009

Simple pleasures

What a great birthday I had! Just knowing that the CT scan was clear -- no cancer -- was enough to make this birthday the best ever!

My sister (the nurse/maid/saint) took me out to my favorite Italian restaurant for lunch, accompanied by wine and dessert, of course. And I decided not to return to work, since it was a beautiful sunny day -- and my birthday, for Pete's sake!

My daughter, Hannah, suggested that we drive to Dylan's school (nearly two hours each way) so that he could join us for dinner, and, since it was such a nice day, her dad and I decided, yeah, we could do that. It was so nice to see Dylan again, and I think maybe he was glad to see us, too!

We had fun at dinner, and then headed to a nearby Wal-Mart to pick up a few things for Dyl, and that's when I saw the "claw" machine -- you know, those arcade games where you put in a quarter and try to pick up a toy with a "claw" that drops down and closes.

I'm a sucker for those things, so the kids and I had a ball playing with it -- and Dylan and I even "won" two little stuffed animals! (See photo at right.) We probably spent $4 total, but I swear, we had fun that was worth way more than that! You should have heard me whooping and hollering when I won a little stuffed dog! (Actually, maybe you did hear me, about 8:30 last night? I was pretty darn excited.) ... I'm convinced that being successful at the "claw" is one part skill and three parts luck!

So, yeah, it's the "simple pleasures" in life that make the best memories -- and get the most laughs! Maybe a good thing to remember in these tough economic times ...

Until next time ...
P

2 comments:

Joan said...

Happy belated birthday! It is always great to see the kiddos. We went to Columbia to celebrate Stephanie's b-day last Friday night. We took all the kids out to dinner. It is just so nice to have everyone together..I am glad that Thanksgiving is just around the corner. So 3rd Friday is November 20th are you good?

Paula said...

I am SO GOOD TO GO on the 20th! Thanks, and see you then!