Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ring-a-ding-ding!

Or, Chemo #12, check!

Yes, today I RANG THE NO-MORE-CHEMO BELL to celebrate my last trip to the chemo pod! Ring-a-ding-ding, ring-a-ding-ding, WOO-HOOOOOO!!! The bell was a gift from a donor, and it's located in a hallway, so a bunch of my nurses came out to clap for me as I was ringing away!

And, of course, it got me all emotional and I had tears in my eyes, a tad embarrassing, but that's me: a pillar while I'm getting treatment and a weeping mess when it's over. Weird.

When it came time to ring the bell, I had my sister, Connie, taking photos and my daughter, Hannah, shooting video (with a digital camera). My thought was that I'd post a video clip of the bell-ringing on my blog, but when I viewed it on the camera, there was no sound (oops), so if there's no sound, I won't bother to post it.

From left (in lower photo) are two of the chemo-pod nurses, me, and Dr. W-G's assistant. Other nurses and aides also were present, and a volunteer, Sandy, who talked to me a LOT while I was in the chemo chair, brought me a loaf of her banana bread with chocolate chips as a going-away present -- sweet (both her and her dessert!).

But, even though I rang the bell, I still have "Fanny" 'til Saturday, so, technically, I'm still not completely free. But today was a "milestone" of sorts, and gosh, it feels damn good to know this is "it"! (At least for three months, when they will do a follow-up scan to see if anything's going on. And if I'm all clear, they're even going to remove my port! Wow!)

Today, my oncologist, Dr. W-G, said I'm doing really well. But she also said my neuropathy, or "numb toes," will likely stay with me for months, or even years (sigh), so I may have a little reminder of this "misadventure" for awhile.

But that's OK because I'm STILL HERE, I'm feeling good, and I've got lots of good times ahead! So thanks again for your prayers and good wishes -- they have helped get me through this and I'll be forever grateful ...

Until next time ...
P

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I heard it loud and clear!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll steal you an ear of corn from the Kempf Farm to help you celebrate.

Congrats! John

Anonymous said...

Ring-a-ding-ding indeed!!! Hurray for you from DC! Lisa & Aaron

Paula said...

Thanks for the smiles, you guys!