Thursday, July 16, 2009

Chemo #11, check


Yes! I went for chemo #11 today, which means two things:
  • I have only ONE MORE chemo treatment left! It's scheduled for Thursday, July 30, from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. or so. And then, on my way out (even though I'll still have "Fanny" for two days -- a technicality), I'll be ringing the "no more chemo" bell! Woo-hoo!

  • By the time I finish, on Aug. 1, I will have completed almost a YEAR of treatment, sheesh ... But I don't feel like I'm that much "worse for the wear" after a year, just enduring a few chemo-induced annoyances that will be going away in a few weeks. (Woo-hoo-two!)

Anyway, it's nice to be entering the home stretch, but a little weird, too, 'cause from now on I'll be nervous at check-ups, wondering what the future will bring. I don't have to worry about that for three months though -- that's how long they're giving me until my first follow-up PET scan, probably around Nov. 1. (My birthday is Nov. 4, so getting a good report would be an awesome birthday present!)

But I feel pretty good, haven't lost any weight during my six months of treatment (hooray for that "healthy appetite"!), haven't had any nausea for several months, still walking two or more miles a day, even with my numb toes ...

Speaking of the numb toes, Dr. W-G told me to let her know if the finger numbness prevented me from doing buttons or typing (they haven't) but I did send an e-mail to her a few days ago to say that the toes were pretty numb but that I'm still walking.

So today she added a bag of calcium and magnesium to my drug regimen, which is supposed to help with the numbness.

So, yes, I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. And life is good.

Thanks for checking on me!

Until next time ...

P

4 comments:

Joan said...

Paula,
I am so happy for you. At our next First Friday lunch, we should celebrate. So you will be done with Frank and Dylan leaves for Mizzou, what will you do with your extra time? Great news and I look forward to seeing you soon.
Joan

Paula said...

Thanks, Joan! Yes, we WILL celebrate at First Friday (with wine, baby)! And I'm planning on enjoying that extra time like never before ...

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness -- we love Multinomah falls! What a great photo. Glad to hear the chemo is almost over -- Aaron and I will toast you on the 30th. The next phase--pre-scan nerves--is weird, but, generally, Aaron liked it more than chemo. :) For your finger/toe tingling--Aaron found that Vitamin B6 helped a ton. Thinking of you doll. XO, Lisa B.

Paula said...

Thanks, Lisa! I'll try the B6 and see what happens ... I had to LOL at your comment about the pre-scan nerves: "generally, Aaron liked it more than chemo" ... Good point!