Thursday, July 2, 2009

Chemo #10, check

JUST TWO MORE TO GO! Yes, I had my 10th post-surgery chemo treatment today, and all is well. No tingly fingers, no nausea, just a tad bit tired.

I heard about the "no more chemo" bell today -- you get to ring it in the hospital hallway after your last treatment, and I think they take your picture and wish you well. I'm gonna cry, I know it ...

I never blogged about this, but on the last day of my five-week radiation/chemo last fall, I decided to give my regular three radiation techs and my chemo nurse $5 gift cards for St. Louis Bread Co., since there's one right next to the hospital.

Anyway, I found this great card for the radiation people (thanks to my saintly sister, Connie) that said, on the front: "Thanks from the bottom of my butt!" And inside: "Because it's bigger than my heart!" Yes, it was perfect (from this anal cancer patient), and as I was sitting in the waiting room, card in hand, I was so excited to give it to Jeff, Sarah, and Melissa! So, I'm sitting there, and this new tech comes out to get me -- I've never seen her before and she introduces herself and I'm disappointed, thinking, "Man, I really wanted to see my regular techs today, since I have this card and everything ..."

So she leads me back to the treatment room, and there are my three techs, standing there clapping and whooping for me on my last treatment day! Of course, I handed them the card through tears. For some reason, I never cried when I went in for treatment, but I sobbed on that last day. It was very emotional, I guess ... And every time I tell someone this story, I also get very emotional and my eyes start to well up and it's sort of embarrassing. In fact, I'm sitting here now at the computer with tears in my eyes ...

So, I think I'll sign off now (I'm sure you understand). Thanks for checking on me!

Until next time ...
P

2 comments:

freckles said...

I'm teary-eyed now too! Awesome Portland photos. They look oddly familiar. When's the next time you're swinging by Indy. ;)

Paula said...

Aw, thanks Julie! That's right -- didn't you and Justin go to the Great Northwest on your honeymoon? Re: Indy, maybe Connie and I can do a girls trip to see you guys sometime this fall ... (I know she and Charlie are coming in a few weeks, so have fun!)