Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Happy anniversary?

So, today is the first anniversary of the day I found out I had cancer -- July 29, 2008.

Back then, I had no idea the treatment would last so long (ignorance truly is bliss).

After my diagnosis, I spent the month of August getting various tests: colonoscopy (even though I had had one two years before), chest X-ray, Pap, mammogram, and CAT scan, to name a few. They were all intended to discover if the cancer had spread (all were clear, thank God).

Also that month I found a top-notch surgeon at the primo hospital in St. Louis: Barnes-Jewish. Dr. F. was suggested by a doctor my sister-the-nurse works with. He's the head of his department, a professor, and one of those guys who contributes to medical textbooks, so I feel like I've been in good hands (surgically speaking) ...

My actual treatment started in September, and I think that's when the radiation guy (also world-class) discovered the cancer in my left lymph nodes. I went through five weeks of radiation and 24/7 chemo (yes, that's when "Fanny" and I started our relationship) and got horrible mouth sores the last couple weeks of treatment (and lost 15 pounds 'cause eating was too painful).

Surgery was Jan. 5, and my six months of post-surgery chemo started a few weeks later.

Now, here I am, with one treatment left ... Happy anniversary ...

Until next time ...
P

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary and congrats on completing your extended treatment (I know I'm a day early but you'll get through it fine)!!! I'll be listening for the that bell ringing tomorrow.

Paula said...

Thanks, Michelle! I'll be sure to ring it loud enough for you to hear in San Diego!

mojo said...

Dang, I could swear I just heard a bell ring...

Happy Day! Thinking of you!

MJ

Paula said...

Hah, you always make me laugh, Mojo (just like during our newspaper days in college!). And, guess who I ran into at the local post office the other day? LAWTON! And we talked FOREVER and plan to do dinner sometime soon -- wish you could join us ...

mojo said...

Yeah, I friended her on FB--probably per your suggestion--but she doesn't seem to be all that active on it yet. Maybe she HAS a life, unlike SOME of us losers who are on it like fifteen times a day... (*sigh*!)

Paula said...

Yeah, I was just gonna go from here to FB ...

Paula-the-Loser