Friday, July 3, 2009

Dropping like flies ...

So, I'm having a little trouble processing all these recent deaths: Farrah Fawcett (whom I didn't know was SO close and was a bit of a shock), Michael Jackson (whom no one knew was SO close -- a REAL shocker!), and now my favorite priest, Father Jim Krings (whom I knew was getting hospice care at the rectory where he lived, after 22 years of off-and-on cancer treatment which stopped "working" last October).

I was bummed that Father Jim (photo at right) died last Saturday, while I was in Portland, and I didn't find out about it until I read through my newspapers when I returned, so I also missed his funeral. But he was a great preacher (he even won the Catholic Church's "Great Preacher Award" in 2007). (Click here for info.)

I didn't know him well (his church is one I switched to, unofficially, because I loved its 5 p.m. Sunday youth Mass -- which I dubbed the "rock 'n roll Mass" because of the guitars, drums, piano, etc., great music! -- and, of course, Father Jim's great preaching).

But when a dear friend, Kathy, sent a holy-water font to me during my cancer treatment, I opted to fill a plastic bottle with tap water and took it to the rock 'n roll Mass for Father Jim to bless. After Mass, he said a nice healing prayer for me, blessed the water, and used it to bless me. I've treasured it ever since, and use it to bless myself daily.

But now he's gone and the rock 'n roll Mass will never be the same. Yes, I know he's happy in heaven, but his death has left a real void here on earth. Even though I didn't know him well personally, I will always remember him for his great sermons and for blessing me and my water. And maybe that's all we can hope for at the end of life: that someone will remember us for something good ...

Until next time ...
P

3 comments:

Laura M. said...

I knew Fr. Krings from way back in high school. Whenever you think of him, just think, "Yaaaaaaaayyyyy GOD YAY!" That was his thing back then. He would keep us on the first Yay for so long, then pump his fist twice for the GOD YAY. We loved it!

Paula said...

Aw, what a nice memory, Laura! He was still pretty much that same "yay" guy at St. Joe's! (And I loved it, too!)

Anonymous said...

As webmaster of the www.ai.edu site, I wanted to inform everyone that the link to the news release about the Great Preacher award has changed to http://www.ai.edu/2007/08/aquinas-institute-names-father-james-krings-2007-great-preacher/