Thursday, April 30, 2009

Chemo #6, check


So, another chemo day today, which I thought would go fast 'cause I actually got there 10 minutes early, but no dice ... It was a LOOOOOONG day, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (from the time I left the house 'til I got home), basically because they were "backed up" at the lab, so I had to wait awhile, and then it took awhile for my chemo to "arrive" at the "pod" (the room where I get the chemo), so I had to wait more than hour there (sigh).

But my labs were good, and I got to see Dr. W-G, who says I'm doing really well. We talked about having just two more chemo days left, so I asked her: "Will that be enough?" At this point, she doesn't know for sure. (But she DID say she thinks I'll be fine.) That's the "standard treatment," but if I'm doing well and want to do two more months, she can arrange that, she said.

So I'm going to "think on it" awhile, and wait until I'm further along to make any decisions (so I can monitor blood tests, talk to docs, etc.). I really don't want to do more chemo, I just want to make sure I have the "best outcome." So we'll see ...

I also got a new prescription for "Mary's Magic Mouthwash," which I'm sure is like the other mouthwash I had in the fall for my mouth sores. But this time I've just got some "thrush" starting on my tongue, so they want me to swish with this stuff four times a day to keep any mouth issues under control.

My daughter, Hannah, came up to sit with me awhile today. She brought me lunch, a beautiful pink calia lily (see photo at right), and a card that I couldn't read at the hospital, in front of everybody. She had written all these wonderful, tear-jerking things inside the card, and I started to read it but felt my eyes watering, so I had to put it down before I became a weeping mess. I told her I'd read it at home, and she understood. So I read it on my way home, in the car (only at stoplights) and it is beautiful. (And I've read it over and over at home, and still, it gets me all emotional.) What did I ever do to deserve this kid?

Anyway, I feel fine, no tingly fingers today, so I'll bid you all adieu ... Ooh, speaking of other languages (and countries, like Germany, my homeland), I finished my book today, Those Who Save Us, by Jenna Blum. Awesome book -- about a woman who does what she has to do to save herself and her daughter during the Holocaust -- and I'd recommend it if you're looking for something to read.

Thanks for checking on me!

Until next time ...
P

3 comments:

Linda said...

Your post left me speechless, and as you know, that's hard to do. Hannah, you're awesome (just like your mother).

Love you much,
Linda

Paula said...

Thanks!

Paula said...

And, of course, I love you much, too! Psycho Sisters forever ...