Monday, December 21, 2009

Cancer lessons

You know, you always hear about people who've had cancer saying that it was actually a "blessing." I don't know if I'd go THAT far, but you do learn a few things, such as:

  • Enjoy each new day (and night!) ... Every day truly IS a blessing. And, it's an opportunity to do something you enjoy, and an opportunity to do something nice for someone else.

  • I know it's a cliche, but DO NOT sweat the small stuff. Seriously. Unless somebody's bleeding, or crying, or hurting, just let it slide. Plane's late? Listen to your iPod. Sleep. Talk to somebody. Traffic jam? Listen to music. Better still, sing along with it! Loudly! (Please don't sleep.) Have to work late? Be glad you have a job and give it your all!

  • Laugh. A. Lot. (Even at work!) Don't see anything funny? Make something funny ...

  • Help somebody. Do a chore, or something "not in my job description," or send a card, or say a prayer, or make a donation. Just do it.

  • Appreciate people. Tell them you love them, or you love what they did, or what they said. Don't wait. Let them know now.

  • Say yes more than no.

  • Be open to learning something new. Try to have an open mind about things. See the world with "new eyes."

I'm SO not perfect, and having cancer hasn't made me perfect. I'm still a "work in progress." But, like you, the older I get, the more I experience, the more I learn. Growing old isn't a curse. It's the ultimate blessing!

Until next time ...

P

No comments: