Saturday, December 12, 2009

Portless once again

Wow, "Port-a-Paula" (thanks for that, Kathryn) is, once again, PORTLESS!

My chest is a little sore where the portacath was removed, but, dang!, it feels SO GOOD to be getting back to normal, as in pre-cancer back to normal.

Even though they put me totally under anesthesia to install the port, they kept me awake to take it out. A little unsettling, but I'm sure this is just the way it's done ...

So, yesterday I reported to B-J West at 7 a.m. and got registered and prepped into a lovely hospital gown, and actually walked into the operating room and climbed up onto the table (weird, I'll probably have nightmares about this later), where a doctor and nurse proceeded to clean off the chest area, numb me up with lidocaine-in-a-syringe, then drape the area so I couldn't see what was going on (thank you, God!).

And, after about half an hour of feeling the doctor pushing and pulling and stitching and gluing -- and ongoing conversation about our kids, our jobs, our religions, our trips, the news of the day (um, Tiger Woods!), and how every Friday night is the nurse's "husband-hunting" night, ha! -- it was all over and I was free to go. Yes, free. Of the last cancer paraphernalia. YES!!! (Now, if I can just get rid of the ever-so-slight numbness in my fingers and toes ...)

So, please join me in lifting a glass of your favorite beverage tonight and we'll all toast to my port-less-ness! Cheers!

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Janine (yesterday) and Kathy (today)! Love you both!

Until next time ...

P

No comments: