Monday, December 22, 2008

A new surgery date

Looks like I'm getting an early Christmas present from the hospital -- my Jan. 2 surgery has been moved to Monday, Jan. 5! So that means I'm getting ONE MORE WEEKEND to live it up! Woo-hoo! (Note to self: Get to store and buy more wine.)

The change was necessary because the hospital will be pretty much "shut down," except for emergencies, because of the New Year's holidays. Good thing they let me know. It might have been a little embarrassing to be banging on the hospital door, "Helloooo, I'm here ..."

They told me to be there at 8 a.m., and said the actual surgery will begin around 10:30. I'll probably be coming out of anesthesia sometime in the afternoon, so I'll ask my "pinch blog-writer" to update this site that day.

In related news, remember how my left pelvic lymph node tested positive for cancer, so I was going to get my right one biopsied? Well, I went to the hospital last week for the test, but didn't get it. The techs and several doctors could barely find the right node on the ultrasound, and when they did, it was tiny (about one-third the size of an M&M, they said) and looked normal. As it was explained to me, they could try to stick a needle into it and draw out cells, but even if the biopsy was negative, that wouldn't necessarily mean there was no cancer -- it could just mean that they missed the cancer.

So we collectively decided not to bother with the biopsy. To be safe, the right node will be removed, along with the left one, just as my surgeons originally wanted to do.

Until next time ...
P

3 comments:

Linda said...

Sorry that bottle of wine somehow got "mislaid." Cheers!

freckles said...

Paula, Greetings from J & J's! So sorry about the dog sitting. It's the kennel for those two from now on!!
Love you lots!
Connie

Terri Mork Speirs said...

Hi Paula, Happy New Year! Wanted to let you know that I am thinking and praying for you as you prep for Monday. I like to imagine that the hand of the surgeon is synced up perfectly with the hand of God, leading to a perfectly executed procedure. And hopefully you will not fall head over heals in love with Dr. Surgery. Actually, it helps. Take care, Terri