Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Extra" chemo #9, check!

So, today I had the first of my four "extra" chemo treatments. (Eight is considered "standard treatment" for my cancer, but patients who are doing well may do 12, if they -- and their doctors -- are so inclined.) So this is number 9 for me, and it was just like all the others, although my oncologist, Dr. W-G, lowered the dosage a bit because my lab numbers are getting sort of low.

While I was waiting for the doc in an examination room, I was wearing headphones and an ipod (like photo at right), relaxing in a chair, feet tapping to the music (I think it was a Grateful Dead or David Bowe tune), eyes closed, just sort of "rocking out" in my "happy place," when Dr. W-G and her assistant strolled in, took one look at me and started laughing! (I'll never live this down!) Even when I saw her later in the chemo pod, she mentioned my ipod, ha! Oh well, I'd rather be known as the "aging hippie woman" than an old crab, so I'm good with it ...

Anyway, she DID say that, since the chemo/radiation in the fall killed all the cancer in my tumor and lymph nodes, it bodes well for me because it looks like the treatment is working. The cancer cells are responding (is that the right word?) to the chemo. But, because there was lymph-node involvement, there is no way to tell for sure at this point if we've got all of those "rogue" cancer cells and whether or not the disease will ever come back. That's what follow-up scans and blood tests are for. So, stay with me, friends, especially in prayer.

But it wasn't a bad day, the treatment went fast because my Psycho Sister came to visit. And we spent some time talking to a volunteer, Sandy Komen, a (by marriage) relative of Susan Komen, the St. Louis breast-cancer walk namesake!

But I'm home now with "Fanny," the portable chemo-bag and pump (which actually stopped working while I was napping! When I awoke, I noticed it was off and wouldn't go back on when I pushed the "on" button, so I replaced the batteries and -- voila! -- it is now working again! Whew!).

I haven't had any nausea for a couple of months, so I'm not expecting any this time, either. Walked my two miles tonight and it's back to work tomorrow.

Re: Hannah, she's doing great! She hasn't had any pain meds for almost a week, and is driving again -- yay! Her hair is growing back quickly and you really can hardly see the scar, only if you're "looking for it." So thank God for her speedy recovery!

Thanks for checking on us.

Until next time ...
P

No comments: