Saturday, June 13, 2009

Road trippin'

So, yes, I made it to Indianapolis (way back in early May) and back with four of my co-workers (see photo at left). We drove to the Associated Church Press convention there, and it was great fun!

One of the highlights was hearing Sister Helen Prejean, author of Dead Man Walking (in the movie version, she was played by Susan Sarandon, who won a "Best Actress" Oscar for her performance), talk about her experience with capital punishment (she's against it) and getting to meet her afterward when she signed my copy of Dead Man Walking. (See photo below.) Good book, by the way.

Another highlight was getting together with my nephew, Justin, and his wife, Julie (whom you might recall as the maker of the "check the boxes" get-well card), who live in Indy. We spent a couple of hours in the hotel bar, talking nonstop, having a drink or two, and eating chicken wings (hot!) that were on "special" that night. It was really nice to re-connect with them, if only for a couple of hours.

During the couple of days that we were there, and driving to and from, we ate LOTS of good food ('cause our boss, David, said we should!), and the two meals provided by the convention were also great and included two awesome desserts -- chocolate cake and cheesecake ...

And, the piece de resistance, I won an award -- just a third-place in the "News story: newspaper" category -- but hey, that's OK by me! It's something to validate what I do (and believe me, I LIVE on that sort of validation!).

But it was a nice trip (way back on May 6-8!) -- and sorry it took me so long to blog about it, but things just seemed to get in the way!

Until next time ...
P

No comments: