Friday, March 6, 2009

Today's lesson

OK, boys and girls, today's lesson is all about surviving in a tough economy. Excuse me, not just "surviving," but let's change that to thriving ...

Let's say you have a sick friend and you want to send her a get-well card. Do you need to get in the car, drive to the store and purchase a ready-made card? Read my lips: NO! All you need is paper and pen, girls and boys, and a little imagination, and you can make the best darn card ever!

Case in point: At right is a card I just received from my nephew, Justin, and his wife, Julie, who live in Indianapolis. The last time I saw them was at Thanksgiving, when they came to St. Louis to visit Justin's mom, my saintly sister who lives up the street.

Anyway, the Friday after Thanksgiving my sis and I went Christmas shopping (as we do every year) and took Julie along. Of course, I had my "list" of stores to hit and gifts to buy, with little boxes drawn to the left, much like the card above. (I don't know, there's something so precise about checking a box -- it comforts me or something.) And of course, my sister teased me mercilessly -- not just because I had a list, but mostly because of the LITTLE BOXES on my list. She finds it amusing that I truly enjoy checking off those little boxes rather than just scratching off the items as I go (so, of course, I sometimes ask her to check them off for me if I'm driving, just to set her off).

So that's our "inside joke" and that's why the card Julie made (above) is so darn dear to me! Inside she wrote "Paula, you sure have come a long way! (I'll let you check the boxes.)" and other sentiments. Very cute. Made me laugh and feel good. Still does.

So, there you have it, boys and girls -- don't worry about having no money in today's economy, just become a do-it-yourselfer! Just put on your thinking cap, put pen to paper, and voila! Your card will be treasured for years to come!

Until next time ...
P

2 comments:

Linda said...

I absolutely LOVE that card, especially the last "box". We pray everyday that you will be cancer free forever.

Love,
Linda and Bob

Paula said...

And I absolutely LOVE you guys! Thanks!