Thursday, March 5, 2009

Chemo #2, check

So, yeah, "Manny's" back ... I actually forgot to bring a fannypack for my chemo session today, so I called my daughter, who was planning to come visit me, and asked her to bring along "Manny," the huge albatross of a fannypack because I was too chicken to show up with "Fanny," my old, dainty one. I was afraid I'd get in trouble for not using the "new, improved, much-more-padded" bag. Sheesh, I'm hopeless.

Anyway, come tomorrow morning, I'm switching them. (Yes, she is mild-mannered but what a REBEL!) In case you don't remember, after I get my two hours of chemo in the "chemo chair," they hook me up to a battery-operated pump and little two-day supply of chemo that I leave with in a fannypack. A nurse comes to my house on Saturday and disconnects it. So I'm actually getting 48 hours of chemo every other week.

But today went fine. Just like the first time two weeks ago. I spent it in my "usual" chemo chair by the window, and ate my way through the treatment, ha!, just like before! As I wolfed down a ham and cheese sandwich, Cheetos, a Rice Krispies treat, some fruit snacks, and a few Oreos (all in about 3 hours), I looked around at everyone else -- none of whom was eating! They're going to start calling me "that woman who eats" if I don't slow down ...

Today I did something a little different -- I watched a movie. The hospital has little DVD players, and a bunch of movies to pick from, but I had brought along "Funny Girl" with Barbra Streisand that I'd bought for $5 somewhere so that's what I watched (half of it anyway). Plus I read a little of my new book, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner; chatted with Hannah and the guy sitting next to me; and took two phone calls.

During my visit with Dr. W-G, the oncologist, I found out that I may not ever need to use the hard-core anti-nausea meds, but might be able to get by on the milder ones for the whole four to six months! So far, I feel fine. But, like before, the mild nausea will probably hit me Friday and Saturday nights, so we'll see how it goes.

When I got home, it was so darn nice out (in the 70s, I'm thinking) that my saintly sister and I took a two-mile walk. Yes, TWO MILES. ON CHEMO DAY. (Picture me singing, "I am strong, I am invincible, I am woman" here ...)

But anyway, it's been a long day -- and I'm working tomorrow -- so I think "Manny" and I are gonna go snuggle ...

Thanks for checking on me and good night my loves ...
P

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hope you and "Manny" had a comfortable night!

And you may just want to think about all that eating ... just a thought from your

Forever Psycho Sis