Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sock it to me!

OK, so today was supposed to be my LAST "chemo day." But, alas, my oncologist, Dr. W-G, said studies have shown that those who get 12 treatments fare better than those who get only 8 (sigh). My labs were a little off today, but not bad enough to not get the chemo, so I got my usual dose, as usual.

But, since both my radiation guy, Dr. M, and my oncologist, Dr. W-G, voted for "more chemo" -- just a little extra insurance -- I'm gonna go ahead and do it. Only 4 more, every other week, but I'm actually getting a little "break" next month 'cause I'm covering a four-day convention in Portland, Ore. (yay!) that falls on a "chemo day," so Dr. W-G says I can skip an extra week (double yay!).

So, my LAST FOUR chemo days will likely be on June 11 and July 2, 16, and 30. In August I plan to get back to regular living, with no bad chemo taste in my mouth, no tingly fingers, no "Fanny," and no thinning hair!

Since my body is starting to show signs of chemo "wear and tear," Dr. W-G says she'll probably lower my chemo dose for the last 4 treatments, plus they'll continue to do lab work to make sure nothing's in the "danger zone." I asked her if all this chemo would do any permanent damage to my organs and she said no, so hurray for that!

So, sock it to me, chemo! I'm ready for my LAST FOUR treatments! (And I'd appreciate your continued prayers.)

And a special thanks to my "Psycho Sis," Linda, who came up and sat with me during today's chemo. It went really fast because we talked and laughed the whole time! Some people "do lunch." We "do chemo."

Re: Hannah, she's doing great! She saw her surgeon today and he said she can do pretty much what she feels like doing, but to "take it easy." No driving for two more weeks. So she's going to a wedding reception Saturday (I'd rather she stay home) and went out to lunch today with a friend. Tuesday night she spent the night at another friend's house, but her mom is a doctor, so we thought it would be OK, and it was! (It is really hard to keep a "party girl" down, but I keep trying!) Anyway, she's doing great, so thanks again for your prayers and concern!

Until next time ...
P

4 comments:

Linda said...

Actually, we did chemo AND lunch! One thing that hasn't been affected by the chemo is Paula's healthy appetite ...

Paula said...

OK, so I was trying to get a laugh, give the sick girl a break! Lunch was good, though ...

Linda said...

You're the healthiest-looking "sick girl" I've ever seen, especially after seeing the other people in the chemo pod (for whom I'm praying). I think they were all staring at us as we laughed (just like the family on the Clipper Ferry stared at us as we came back from Victoria). Of course, there was wine involved in that ...

Paula said...

Ah, the boat trip from Victoria, British Columbia, to Seattle ... Tears of laughter streaking down our cheeks ... Such fun!