Sunday, November 7, 2010

Never-ending birthday

My cancer was diagnosed when I was 54. As of last week, I have now reached the ripe old age of 57. I'm still cancer-free, as far as I know. This, my friends, is FABULOUS!

"The older, the better" is my new motto, and age, I'm tellin' ya, is truly a state of mind. How old do you feel? OK, that's your true age. Do not worry about the number because the higher it is, the more years you have to make a difference in this old world. So, rock on ... and on ... and on ... and on, brothers and sisters!

This year my birthday is rockin' on and on. It started on my birthday eve (Nov. 3), when my saintly sister treated me to lunch, the funniest b-day card ever, some dark chocolate and a Starbucks gift card. Then we browsed the U City "Loop" on a beautiful afternoon and she bought me yet another gift that we found in an offbeat shop: a beautiful scarf (see photo of Hannah and me, wearing said scarf and showing off cake!).

The next day (Nov. 4), my actual b-day, I got an awesome card from my co-workers with so many nice sentiments I think I'll keep it on my desk all year long so I can read it over and over! Then, when I got home from work, Hannah had baked me a chocolate cake and there were gifts from her and Jim: a bottle of cabernet, a balloon, a card, two stemless wine glasses and some perfume I'd been wanting. Then, dinner at Outback, then we all watched a rented movie that turned out to be pretty stressful -- "Frozen," the story of three friends who get stuck on a ski lift in a storm for days. No one knows they're there, they have no phone, and all these horrible things keep happening. Trust me. Stressful.

Then, on Friday (Nov. 5), Dylan drove home from Columbia, so the four of us went out to dinner again -- to Macaroni Grill! It was an extremely fun night!

Now I'm looking forward to Wednesday (Nov. 10), when I'm flying down to my home-away-from-home, Venice, Fla., to help my saintly Psycho Sister celebrate HER birthday -- and mine again, ha! I'm staying four glorious days and it had better be sunny!

So, yeah, life is definitely a beach and birthday celebrations never really have to end, do they?

Until next time ...
P

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy November birthday, Paula, and wishes for many, many more! So glad you are feeling great and can travel and do what you love to do...plus eat chocolate and drink fine wine. God's blessings & happy Thanksgiving/thanksliving! Your Scorpio Friend

Paula said...

Aw, thanks, Jane! And happy birthday/Thanksgiving to you, too!

Linda said...

Your birthday DOES really go on and on, doesn't it?

Paula said...

You know it, Hoopsie-Loopsie! Thanks again for a swell time in "paradise" ...