Saturday, May 29, 2010

Lymphedema Ltd.

When I called my surgeon's office about my swollen leg, they gave me a referral to the Rehabilitation Institute of St. Louis, this great place down by B-J Hospital that actually has a lymphedema clinic! The clinic is staffed by physical therapists who know everything there is to know about preventing -- and treating -- lymphedema! Who knew?

So I went in for a consultation on Wednesday, saw a therapist who took measurements of both my legs, and prescribed a treatment plan. I've got six appointments already -- twice a week for three weeks. She'll show me how to exercise and massage my bum leg, and how to wrap it tightly, which should make the swelling go down.

She explained to me how the massage is intended to work the "lymph" upward, toward my underarm lymph nodes, which will disperse it in the usual manner. Wow. The stuff I'm learning.

Anyway, I should be back to normal (was I ever?) in a few weeks. Hallelujah! And with all my new knowledge about preventing lymphedema, I may never have to worry about this again! (Yes, in my eyes, the glass is ALWAYS half-full!)

Until next time ...
P

1 comment:

Terri Mork Speirs said...

My dear Paula, holy cats, I'm behind. Wow, I hope all is well with you and your quest to be "normal." ha! Seriously, wishing you all the best for full healing. Love, T