Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Good advice ...

So the other day I e-mailed Dr. W-G to see if I should be avoiding certain foods while I'm recuperating from my yearlong cancer treatment. Her answer:

"The best thing for you is Vitamin D, exercise, and Eastern diet."

So I e-mailed again for details, and it seems that the 1,400 IUs of Vitamin D that I'm taking daily now is sufficient (400 IUs is the recommended daily allowance), since I'm not "deficient" in that particular vitamin, and the "Eastern diet" is basically the Mediterranean diet, with lots of fruits and vegies (at least seven servings a day), whole wheat, olive oil, and no major junk food. (And a glass of red wine is OK! Antioxidants!) Plus, I'm trying to get 15 minutes of sunlight every day or two -- even MORE Vitamin D!

I'm still walking my two miles -- sometimes more, sometimes less -- but I'm thinking of branching out to some additional exercise, now that I'm off the chemo.

It seems to me that this recommendation might be good for everyone, not just cancer patients, so do with it what you will ...

Until next time ...
P

No comments: