Thursday, December 30, 2010

December checkup, check!


So, Tuesday (a couple of days ago) I had a checkup with Dr. K, my surgery maintenance guy. I've been seeing him every three months, and now -- since it's been two years since my Jan. 5 surgery -- he's giving me a little more freedom. My next appointment with him will be in six months, and six months after that, etc. I totally LOVE these milestones! Hallelujah, baby!

Since I'm scheduled to see Dr. W-G, my oncologist, Jan. 13, Dr. K didn't do any lab work this time. Dr. W-G always checks the blood, so he thought we might as well just wait until then.

But everything's fine, which is always a relief. Even now. A friend who went through cancer treatment similar to mine recently asked me, "How long before you stop getting nervous about checkups?" I'm thinking "never." Another friend whose husband was treated successfully for cancer before me said he "generally likes the checkups more than he liked the chemo," which really puts it all in perspective!

But cancer, the "Big C," is serious business -- and usually a helluva wicked treatment -- so no one can blame us survivors for feeling the way we do.

It's truly wonderful, though, to be around to ring in another new year! I've promised myself I'll exercise more! Eat healthy! Get my fill of antioxidants! Learn yoga! Relax!

Happy 2011! What will YOU do this year?

Until next time ...
P

P.S. Thought I'd share a couple more iPhone photos from my trip to Florida last month. It sure would be nice to actually live there someday ...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanking the Lord with you, Paula! What great news!

I've promised myself those same things! Let's be good to ourselves and KEEP those promises. :)

I'm raising a glass of red wine to toast to your happy, healthy new year! Clink! Happy 2011!

Paula said...

Cheers, Jane! Happy 2011 to you, too!